Tuesday, April 14, 2009

All Righty Then...

We were at an agricultural workshop (I won't say which one), but at the registration table there were two lines - one for "Farmers" and one for "Non-farmers". The lady in front of me turned to me and said, "well, I'm not sure which line I should be in, ya know - whether we're considered "farmers" or not." I said, "What do you mean?" She said, "Well, we just bought 35 acres of land to build a house on, but don't actually work it." I couldn't help but laugh out loud, while a few other people inched in closer - grinning & mumbling under their breath (they were in the "farmer" line). I said, "Ahhh...well, I'd say unless you have sworn at a tractor a time-or-two, picked rocks for days & and lose sleep when your crops are flooded out & you're not sure if you'll have enough feed put up for the winter...you are NOT a farmer." She looked a bit shamed (which was not my intention), but got the point. She quickly moved over to the "Non-farmer" line. The old man behind me (wearing an old seed cap) let out a chuckle, raised an eyebrow at the lady and said, "All righty then..." which in old farmer lingo translates into, "Seriously....right???"

0 comments:

 

Order All Natural Family Farm Raised Beef at www.creekbedfarm.com

Title and Background Graphics by : Peddler Graphics : www.peddlergraphics.com